Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What's the rule for using 'and' in big numbers?

for example, two million, one hundred and seventy five thousand three hundred 'and' sixty five?





I have to teach it to English student so if there is a rule it would useful to know!What's the rule for using 'and' in big numbers?
well, technically, i dont think that youre supposedto use it all. youd just say two million, one hundred seventy five thousand, three hundred sixty. but if you have a mixed number, like 2 1/2, you would say two and one half. :)What's the rule for using 'and' in big numbers?
I have never seen a rule... however I know that properly, nothing has the word ';AND'; in it.





I believe there is a trivia question that asks what the first number that has an A in it. The answer is 1,000.





PS I believe 2,175,365 is written as ';two million, one hundred seventy-five thousand, three hundred sixty-five.';
In British English we definitely do use ';ands';, as in the example ';two million, one hundred and seventy five thousand, three hundred and sixty five'; -- which is exactly the way I'd say it myself.





But being a native speaker, I have no idea of the ';rules'; I use. As with most things in the English language, I know instinctively what's right and wrong but I can't tell you how I know, or what the rules are supposed to be.





Bear in mind that ';rules'; are devised by people studying examples of how the language is used, i.e. they're inferred rules (and usually have plenty of exceptions).
My impression is that when speaking a number in American English ';and'; is not used. In British English it seems to always come immediately after the word ';hundred'; - and only then (as in the example you gave in the question).
Rule : The word AND is only used after the ';hunderds'; number. For example, siz thousand, three hundred AND sexty four. This is the only time it is used, no matter how big the number is.
your example is incorrect. You only use and after a decimal or when the number contains a fraction.


two million one hundred seventy five thousand three hundred sixty six, AND zero tenths

No comments:

Post a Comment