Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Is there an advantage to playing the same lottery ticket numbers all the time?

I've heard people say that playing the same numbers (as opposed to quick pick) on a lottery ticket will eventually pay off. Any truth to that??Is there an advantage to playing the same lottery ticket numbers all the time?
Nope. None whatsoever. It's amazing what stupid people will come up with to justify their gambling.


If I have 100 balls, and I pick one out of the hopper, the odds are 100 to 1 against that particular number. Let's say it's the number 3.


Every day, you pick the number 17. So, on day two, I put the 3 back in, and the odds against me picking it are still 100 to 1, as are the odds against my picking 17.


Same thing goes if I have a quarter and flip it 3 times, and it lands on head 3 times in a row. The next time I flip it, odds of landing on heads are still 50/50.


To sum it up, previous results in ANY kind of gambling game have ZERO effect on outcome of future games. The little plastic balls in lotto don't have any way of knowing whether or not they were picked last month, or last year.Is there an advantage to playing the same lottery ticket numbers all the time?
All numbers have an equal chance of being selected, It makes no difference whether you keep the same numbers or change them. The only thing is that people might select more lower numbers (1-12 or 1-31) because they might represent things like a birthday, anniversary, etc. You'll still have the same chance of winning with low numbers as with high numbers, but if you win with low numbers there might be more of a chance of other people winning and making you split the jackpot. Personally, I only play when the jackpot gets to around 150-200 million, and I always use random numbers, either a quick pick or I generate the random numbers myself.
No, they are going on a monte carlo theory that over enough trials the frequency of the numbers should all become uniform. Unfortunately you need hundreds of thousands to millions of trials to do that. Daily lotteries from age 18 to 75 is 21,000 trials, which isn't enough for the theory to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment