Thursday, December 17, 2009

EARLY READERS- when did your child start recognizing all letters, numbers, and their sounds?

When or how should I help him to learn to read or sound out words, if he's interested?EARLY READERS- when did your child start recognizing all letters, numbers, and their sounds?
My daughter just turned 2 and she can count to 15 and she knows some of her ABC's (she can't sing them but she recognizes them from an ABC puzzle). I just picked up a deck of cards that tells the story of the woman who swallows a fly....then a bird....then a cat, etc. Anyway, I read the cards to her and the animals are pictures in the sentence so I stop reading at the animal and she'll name it. I'm so excited! One step closer to reading! That might help your son, too. :)





If there is a teacher store in your area, you can stop in and pick up preschool or pre-K reading activities. Just remember that most Kindergardeners can't read....and if your son goes to school already knowing how to read he could wind up bored, start acting badly, or even worse, be used by the kindergarden teacher to help pull the other kids up to his level (which will make the other kids hate him). There are pros and cons to teaching an advanced preschooler. :) Hope this helps!EARLY READERS- when did your child start recognizing all letters, numbers, and their sounds?
That's great! Now what can he do with that info. Can he apply it to other situations and use it out of context. Does he recognize this out of the academic setting?
You teach him the sounds of each of the letters and then you might tell him or teach him to combine them together and you can read.
the earlier the better my 3 year old knows colors and shapes we are workin on abcs now
well you just gotta be a little strict or nothin will happen
I don't have children of my own, but I work with them every day. When they are about 4 they should be able to recognize most if not all their letters. Sounds can come earlier if you start phonics, but phonics doesn't work for every child. When they are five they should be able to remember most letter sounds if you at least work a little with them. Most don't even know how to read when they go into kindergarten.
My son is 3. He seems far more advanced than my other two sons were at his age.





He was off the bottle at 8 months, potty trained at 18 months and knew his alphabet by 2 years. I elected to put him in an academic setting because before he turned 3, he already knew the entire alphabet (at random), upper AND lower case. He knows the sounds that they make (including vowels). He can count to 20. He knows all of his body parts. Last Xmas, he put together a puzzle of the United States with NO PROBLEM. I even watched him do it a few times.





He also likes playing learning games on the computer.





I read to him slowly and have him repeat me...that seems to be working. We read some of the same books over and over again. I've already noticed that he recognizes some of the words - that or he's memorized them which is equally impressive at this age!
  • band myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment