Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Can someone steal your ID with just the last 4 numbers of your Social Security?

Some ';Collection Agency'; called me asking for the last 4 numbers of my Social Security, claiming that I opened a Sears account that I didn't open and I owe a huge debt. Can someone steal my ID with just those four numbers?Can someone steal your ID with just the last 4 numbers of your Social Security?
Not normally, no. Successful identity theft requires more than just your last 4.





Needless to say, NEVER divulge ANY personal information (or confirm it) to an unknown caller! If a collector calls and it sounds suspicious, just demand that they send you Proof of Debt and then hang up. (If they ask for the address to send it to, tell them to send it to the address on the account. Don't even confirm your mailing address.)
  • band myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment